Delta Air Lines, Inc.DALNYSE
Hello - I'm Paul and I run the Shopifreaks E-commerce Newsletter where each week I highlight the most important news & happenings in e-commerce.
Here's this week's 57th edition if you'd like to check out the kind of content I publish. This week's stories included:
Shopify unveiled plans to grow its fulfillment network, following terminating contracts with providers a few weeks ago
Microsoft added Android app support to Windows11 OS via Amazon AppStore for some reason
Wix.com evacuated 1,0000 employees from Ukraine
Wish.com rolled out shoppable video called “Wish Clips”
Sponsored Brands grabs more ad spend share on Amazon (26% of total ad spend in Q4 2021)
Delta Air Lines and American Express partnered up to offer a BNPL payment option
Amazon and Visa reached a global truce over fees
E-commerce sites operated by Tencent and Alibaba Group were added to ‘notorious markets’ list by the U.S. Trade Representative’s office
Boeing achieved an annual record for e-commerce parts sales in 2021 with more than $2B in online orders
Wix.com is collaborating with Yellow Pages Limited to help them strengthen their website offerings for SMBs
Out of 25,820 products on TrustRadius, BigCommerce was recognized as one of the Top 101 “Most Loved” software for 2022
Russia’s largest lender Sberbank will be establishing an e-commerce holding company
Kanye West sold 10k Stem Players in 3 days, after rejecting a $100M deal from Apple for his upcoming album Donda 2
Walmart said that sick leave costs due to omicron increased to more than $400M in Q4 2021
Lids launched Lids Hat Drop, a new e-commerce site featuring limited headwear collections
FedEx and BigCommerce partnered up to offer enhanced shipping capabilities to merchants
Grubhub is expanding its branded convenience offering nationwide in collaboration with 7-Eleven
Plus 21 seed rounds and acquisitions of interest
All this and more in this week's edition of the Shopifreaks E-commerce Newsletter:
If you work in e-commerce, thanks for giving my newsletter a sub!
Events in the US Today (EDT):
- 8:30am - GDP (QoQ-Q2) [3/3 Volatility]
- GDP Price Index (QoQ-Q2) [3/3 Volatility]
- Initial Jobless Claims [3/3 Volatility]
- 9:00am - Jackson Hole Symposium Begins [2/3 Volatility]
- 9:10am - Fed Chair Powell Speaks [ ∞ Volatility]
- Kansas City Fed YouTube Channel hosts the stream:
- Powell is expected to acknowledge that ongoing inflation shortfall and announce that the Fed will now have an “average inflation” target.
- Investors say that the move will allow the Fed to be more comfortable with inflation creeping above the 2% threshold so long as it’s eventually offset by periods of below-average price growth.
- 10:00am - Pending Home Sales (MoM-Jul) [3/3 Volatility]
- 12:00pm - POTUS participates in a roundtable with supporters
- Trump International Hotel, Washington
- 10:30pm - POTUS delivers his Acceptance Speech to the 2020 Republican National Convention
- South Lawn, The White House
- Confirmed COVID-19 cases nationally are falling from peaks in July, even as the U.S. death toll from the virus remains at about 1,000 people a day.
- Abbott Laboratories on Wednesday launched a $5 coronavirus test that yields results in 15 minutes without needing any laboratory equipment, an innovation expected to speed testing efforts.
- Experts are describing Hurricane Laura as one of the most powerful storms to ever hit the United States, with sustained winds of 150 mph and an anticipated wall of water estimated at 20 feet high. The National Hurricane Center called the expected storm surge “unsurvivable”.
- The NBA's board of governors and the players still inside the NBA's bubble at Walt Disney World Resort will each meet at 11 a.m. Thursday as both sides continue to discuss how to proceed with the NBA playoffs, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Malika Andrews.
- Delta Air Lines is facing a fresh Latin American headache as a Monday deadline nears for former Brazilian partner Gol Linhas Aereas Inteligentes to repay a $300 million loan that the U.S. carrier guaranteed.
- If Gol fails to repay - which ratings agencies say is looking more likely - Delta would have to honor the debt on Gol's behalf, honoring the five-year-old agreement.
- Facebook on Wednesday acknowledged that Apple’s upcoming iOS 14 could lead to a more than 50% drop in its Audience Network advertising business.
- California reports 50 new wildfires overnight and 1.3 million acres burned so far, Gov. Newsom says.
- Nearly 35 million households will lose their utility shutoff protections over the next month due to expiring emergency orders.
Events in the World Today (EDT):
- 1:45am - Switzerland GDP (YoY&QoQ-Q2) [2/3 Volatility]
- 8:00am - Brazil BCB Nat'l Monetary Council Meeting [2/3 Volatility]
- 10:00am - Bazil CAGED Net Payroll Jobs [2/3 Volatility]
- 11:00am - Mexico Monetary Policy Meeting Minutes [2/3 Volatility]
- 11:15am - Canada BoC Gov Council Member Macklem Speaks [2/3 Volatility]
- 11:30am - Euro Zone ECB's Lane Speaks [2/3 Volatility]
- 7:30pm - Japan Tokyo Core CPI (YoY-Aug) [2/3 Volatility]
- Japan CPI Tokyo Ex Food & Energy (MoM-Aug) [2/3 Volatility]
- Rolls-Royce Holdings Plc tumbled, leading decliners across Europe after a record half-year loss and writedown on its main jet-engine arm as the coronavirus crisis battered air travel.
- Trading was halted on New Zealand’s stock exchange on Thursday for a third day in a row following a cyber attack earlier in the week.
Earnings Before Open:
- Dollar General, Dollar Tree, TDAmeritrade, Burlington Coat Factory, Abercrombie & Fitch, 1-800-Flowers, ReneSola, CIBC
Earnings After Close:
- Okta, Marvell, Workday, ULTA, Vmware, Veeva, Dell Technologies, Ollie's, HP, Bill.com